Saturday, August 10, 2013

Market debut!

Today marked the day where I debuted at a local market. Kuraby Farmers Markets. Set up starts at 5am and I was up at 4:15am.

Stomach churned all night long with feelings of anxiety, nervousness, uncertainty, excitement all going on at once.

I had everything packed, but overnight, I couldn't decide whether to put up fixed price menus or just put a price range for people to put whatever amount they wish.

Somehow I was convinced to use the price range method for the day.

Got the the market in time, set everything up and was ready for customers. The early ones at 6am were mostly grandparents or early mums. Nobody took any notice of me, even though I was right at the entrance. Had a few friends pop by and I was glad to have some familiar faces to talk to.

I was sitting around taking my own sweet time to make balloon sculpture for the first 3 1/2 hours. First customer came just after 9:30am and the children crowd arrived about 10:30am.

The crowd at the market were very nice. Very patient and accommodating. Had a few lovely families chat about balloons while their children watched. One family sat down near me and two of the children just watched as I twisted and they'd ask questions along the way.

I had a fun day. The most popular designs were the spiderman followed by the sword. Here're some photos of the setup :

This is my table and shade early in the morning.


  I saw a hotdog sculpture on Patricia Balloona's blog and thought I'd make one today too. Most people near me were eating their hotdog buns and I wanted one for myself too. After I made it, many people recognised it as a hotdog and were tickled by it. A lady came by and asked for the hotdog for her husband's birthday tonight! Happy birthday to the husband, I hope he enjoyed it!
 

 This pretty young lady was one of my favourite items today.



No comments:

Post a Comment